I always thought international travel is a privilege of the rich, something that you do after you have arrived in life. After you buy your car, or finish your homeloan and have loads of bank balance. Took me a long time to realise, it has very little to do with money but more of desire to see the world and some amount of planning.
Here is how you could do it too solo female traveler
Do your research …lots of research; there are tons of information available online about every possible place. Let’s go step by step:
- Plan and book your tickets 2-3 months in advance.
- Choose a hotel not very far from city centre even if that costs 15% extra. If you are staying for less than 3 days, commuting would cost you a lot of time and money. Also staying near the cite centre is always the best option to enjoy the night life.
- There are “Free Tours” available in almost every big city in the world (Eg: Sandeman or Free tours by foot). These are mostly freelance tour guides/groups who lead group tours at no upfront costs, so that you may enjoy a sightseeing tour by foot and pay tips if you enjoy or walk away for free.
- Eat local food and choose places where the local eat. Street food joints would be more than happy to customize based on your preference.
- Use local transport : Be prepared to walk, average of 10 kms a day. It helps you breathe in the local culture and gives you wonderful experiences.
- Opt of city sight seeing pass, choose one with variety of option that just a museum pass. Some of them allow transit or complimentary use of buses or other public
- Use Hop on and Hop Off buses. When you are a solo traveler, this is like a mini hotel. Gives you a place to keep you luggage, air conditioned space for a quick nap, and hop in and off for 24 hrs whenever you feel like.
- Decide in advance your daily itinerary. Entry fees to Disneyland or amusement parks are higher on weekends. Museums have free entry time slots on certain days.
If you’re the kind of person who dreams big, finishing a trip gives you the satisfaction that you were able make a goal to travel and accomplish what you set out to do.
They say that travel broadens the mind, opens a person up to new experiences. You imagined it, dreamt about it. Guess what? It can be done. Around the world is possible, you just have to take the first step.
Thinking about how to fund it , check out Be your own VC – Fund your travel
Image Credit : onedayIwanago.com/Pinterest